Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Minimal CentOS 4.8 Install

I am never satisfied with Red Hat's version of the "minimal" option during an install.  Their version of minimal install comes with unnecessary (IMHO) packages like bluez-*, various PPP and ISDN packages etc.

It is a pain to manually go through and "trim the fat", but I did.  Here is the list of RPM's required for a bare-bones RHEL/CentOS 4.8 install.  Note, to avoid breaking package dependences, I did not use --no-deps.  There are a few packages which could still be removed (mdadm, dmraid, logrotate etc.) but I find them useful, so I decided to keep them.

# rpm -qa | sort | uniq | wc -l
156


You can download the list of minimal RPM's from here.  If I find time, I'll also post the list of minimal RPM's for RHEL/CentOS 5.5.

HTH,
VVK

No comments:

Post a Comment